Laboratory Assistant II
Under the direction and oversight of the Laboratory Director and Laboratory Manager, or designee, within the scope of Unlicensed Laboratory Personnel as described in B&PC 1269, receives and processes specimens, performs clerical tasks and performs phlebotomy. May operate automated or semi-automated test equipment, or plate and process microbiology specimens under the direct and constant supervision of a licensed person, as authorized by the California lab law.
- Draws blood from patients finger, heal, or vein, observing principles of asepsis to obtain blood samples.
- Obtains the correct amount and type of specimen.
- Documents all requests and released results of lab work accurately.
- Informs physicians of released lab results.
- Completes appropriate routing, handling, and processing of various medical specimens.
- Orders, distributes and stocks supplies as needed.
- Trains and reports on the work performance of other Laboratory Assistants.
- Perform other related duties as necessary.
- Supervisory Responsibilities:This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Compliance Accountability:.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Phlebotomy Technician II Certificate (California) OR Phlebotomy Technician I Certificate (California)
- Ability to perform all Laboratory Assistant I duties.
- Must be able to perform all Laboratory Assistant I duties.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.